MBBS (S'pore), MMed (Surg), FRCS (Edin), FAMS, PhD (SSHSPH, NUS)
Specialty: General Surgery
Sub-specialties: Breast Surgery, Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
Conditions Treated by this Doctor:
Atypical Hyperplasia, Benign Breast Change and Symptoms, Benign Breast Diseases, Benign Breast Neoplasms, Breast Cancer , Breast Cancer - Diagnosis to Treatment, Breast Cancer - Early Detection and Screening, Breast Cancer (Breast Health), Breast Clinical Assessment, Breast Infection, Breast Lumps, Breast Radiological Evaluation, Breast Reconstruction, Breast Surgery, Duct Ectasia, Early and Advanced Breast Cancer, Fibroadenoma, Fibrocystic Change, Gynaecomastia, Hereditary Breast Cancer Syndromes, High Risk Breast Changes, Intraductal Papillomas, Lobular Carcinoma in Situ, Malignant and Benign Breast Conditions, Mastitis.
Associate Professor Benita Tan is the chief of Breast Service and Senior Consultant in the Department of General Surgery in Sengkang General Hospital, and the current Chairman of the Division of Ambulatory and Outpatient Services at Sengkang General Hospital.
A/Prof Tan is also a Senior Consultant at the Department of Breast Surgery, Singapore General Hospital and Division of Surgical Oncology in National Cancer Centre, Singapore. A/Prof Benita holds concurrent appointments of Associate Professor in the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS, and Associate Professor with the Duke-NUS Medical School. She is currently serving various administrative positions in SingHealth and Sengkang General Hospital such as Member of the Academic Medicine Council for Surgery ACP, Office of Academic & Clinical Development, Academic Development Department, Duke-NUS and various others.
A/Prof Tan graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery in the National University of Singapore in 1995. She trained as a general surgeon, completed her Membership examination of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1999 and obtained Master of Medicine (Surgery), National University of Singapore a year after in 2000. She continued to pursue the advanced specialty training in General Surgery and was accredited as a specialist in General surgery in 2003, with the Fellowship Examinations of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (General Surgery), before sub-specializing in breast surgery in particular breast cancer surgery. She attained her Doctor of Philosophy, at Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, National University of Singapore in 2013.
A/Prof Tan sees, manage, and provide treatment recommendations and surgical expertise for a range of breast diseases, both benign and malignant. Experienced in a wide range of breast procedures, she performs breast biopsies including vacuum assisted biopsies (VAB) and breast cancer surgeries, from breast conserving cancer surgery to mastectomies including skin-sparing, nipple sparing and endoscopic mastectomy for breast reconstruction. She works with a multi-disciplinary team including medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, breast cancer nurses, occupational therapists to provide our breast cancer patients a holistic and individualised care plan that they deserve.
Besides clinical excellence, A/Prof Tan enjoys teaching and shares her clinical experiences with students from the Yong Loo Lin, School of Medicine, Duke NUS Graduate Medical School, residents from the General Surgery and Family Medicine programmes as well as trainees in the Resident Nursing programme. She is also involved in a wide range of breast cancer research both clinical and translational locally and internationally, and has numerous publications in peer reviewed international journals.
A strong believer of collaborative efforts and interest in breast cancer research, she works with local partners from National Cancer Centre, SingHealth Research, Genomic Institute of Singapore, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology and the other local hospitals; as well as internationally with the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, Universiti Malaya, Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center, Asian Breast Cancer Network and the Cancer Genome Project, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute.
1. Carcinoma of the rectum with a single penile metastasis. Tan BKT, Nyam DCNK, Ho YH. Singapore Med J. 2002 Jan;43(1):39–40.
2. Abdominal apoplexy: A potentially fatal enigma. Tan YM, Tan BKT, Chow PKH. ANZ J Surg. 2003 Jun;73(6):461–2.
3. Management of inpatients exposed to an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Tan Y-M, Chow PKH, Tan B-H, Kurup A, Tan BKT, Tan FLS, Seldrup J, Heng DMK, Ang B, Green J, Wong C-Y, Soo K-C. J Hosp Infect. 2004 Nov;58(3):210–5.
4. Management of acute bleeding per rectum. Tan BKT, Tsang CBS, Nyam DCNK, Ho YH. Asian J Surg. 2004 Jan;27(1):32–8.
5. Targets of genome copy number reduction in primary breast cancers identified by integrative genomics. Chen W, Salto-Tellez M, Palanisamy N, Ganesan K, Hou Q, Tan LK, Sii LH, Ito K, Tan B, Wu J, Tay A, Tan KC, Ang E, Tan BK, Tan PH, Ito Y, Tan P. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2007 Mar;46(3):288–301.
6. Clinical validation of a customized multiple signature microarray for breast cancer. Tan BKT, Tan LK, Yu K, Tan PH, Lee M, Sii LH, Wong CY, Ho GH, Yeo AWYY, Chow PKHH, Koong HN, Yong WS, Lim DTHH, Ooi LLPJPJ, Soo KC, Tan P. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Jan 15;14(2):461–9.
7. Do Asian breast cancer patients have poorer survival than their western counterparts? A comparison between Singapore and Stockholm. Tan BKT, Lim GH, Czene K, Hall P, Chia KS. Breast Cancer Res. 2009 Jan;11(1):R4.
8. Triple-negative breast cancer: clinicopathological characteristics and relationship with basal-like breast cancer. Thike AA, Cheok PY, Jara-Lazaro AR, Tan B, Tan P, Tan PH. Mod Pathol. 2010 Jan;23(1):123–33.
9. Triple negative breast cancer: outcome correlation with immunohistochemical detection of basal markers. Thike AA, Iqbal J, Cheok PY, Chong APY, Tse GM-K, Tan B, Tan P, Wong NS, Tan PH. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Jul;34(7):956–64.
10. The landscape of cancer genes and mutational processes in breast cancer. Stephens PJ, Tarpey PS, Davies H, Van Loo P, Greenman C, Wedge DC, Nik-Zainal S, Martin S, Varela I, Bignell GR, Yates LR, Papaemmanuil E, Beare D, Butler A, Cheverton A, Gamble J, Hinton J, Jia M, Jayakumar A, Jones D, Latimer C, Lau KW, McLaren S, McBride DJ, Menzies A, Mudie L, Raine K, Rad R, Chapman MS, Teague J, Easton D, Langerød A, Karesen R, Schlichting E, Naume B, Sauer T, Ottestad L, Lee MTM, Shen C-YY, Tee BTK, Huimin BW, Broeks A, Vargas AC, Turashvili G, Martens J, Fatima A, Miron P, Chin S-FF, Thomas G, Boyault S, Mariani O, Lakhani SR, Van De Vijver M, Van’t Veer L, Foekens J, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Tutt A, Caldas C, Reis-Filho JS, Aparicio SAJRJR, Salomon AV, Børresen-Dale A-LL, Richardson AL, Campbell PJ, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, van ’t Veer L, Foekens J, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Tutt A, Caldas C, Reis-Filho JS, Aparicio SAJRJR, Salomon AV, Børresen-Dale A-LL, Richardson AL, Campbell PJ, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, Karesen R, Schlichting E, Naume B, Sauer T, Ottestad L, Lee MTM, Shen C-YY, Tan BKT, Huimin BW, Broeks A, Vargas AC, Turashvili G, Martens J, Fatima A, Miron P, Chin S-FF, Thomas G, Boyault S, Mariani O, Lakhani SR, Van De Vijver M, Van’t Veer L, Foekens J, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Tutt A, Caldas C, Reis-Filho JS, Aparicio SAJRJR, Salomon AV, Børresen-Dale A-LL, Richardson AL, Campbell PJ, Futreal PA, Stratton MR. Nature. 2012 Jun 21;486(7403):400–4.
11. Mobile DNA in cancer. Extensive transduction of nonrepetitive DNA mediated by L1 retrotransposition in cancer genomes. Tubio JMC, Li Y, Ju YS, Martincorena I, Cooke SL, Tojo M, Gundem G, Pipinikas CP, Zamora J, Raine K, Menzies A, Roman-Garcia P, Fullam A, Gerstung M, Shlien A, Tarpey PS, Papaemmanuil E, Knappskog S, Van Loo P, Ramakrishna M, Davies HR, Marshall J, Wedge DC, Teague JW, Butler AP, Nik-Zainal S, Alexandrov L, Behjati S, Yates LR, Bolli N, Mudie L, Hardy C, Martin S, McLaren S, O’Meara S, Anderson E, Maddison M, Gamble S, Foster C, Warren AY, Whitaker H, Brewer D, Eeles R, Cooper C, Neal D, Lynch AG, Visakorpi T, Isaacs WB, van’t Veer L, Caldas C, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Aparicio S, Foekens JA, Eyfjörd JE, Lakhani SR, Thomas G, Myklebost O, Span PN, Børresen-Dale A-L, Richardson AL, Van de Vijver M, Vincent-Salomon A, Van den Eynden GG, Flanagan AM, Futreal PA, Janes SM, Bova GS, Stratton MR, McDermott U, Campbell PJ. Science. 2014 Aug 1;345(6196):1251343.
12. Assessment of suitability of the one step nucleic acid amplification (OSNA) assay as an intraoperative procedure for detection of metastasis in sentinel lymph nodes of breast cancer. Jara-Lazaro AR, Hussain IHM, Thike AA, Wong CY, Ho GH, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Oey CL, Hwang JSG, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Dec;67(12):1032–7.
13. Sentinel lymph nodes with isolated tumour cells and micrometastases in breast cancer: Clinical relevance and prognostic significance. Ahmed SS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Yong WS, Tan B, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ho GH, Wong CY, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Mar 11;67(3):243–50.
14. Predicting the likelihood of additional lymph node metastasis in sentinel lymph node positive breast cancer: validation of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre (MSKCC) nomogram. Chue KM, Yong WS, Thike AA, Ahmed SS, Li HH, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2014 Feb;67(2):112–9.
15. Contralateral prophylactic mastectomy in an Asian population: A single institution review. Sim Y, Tan VKM, Ho GH, Wong CY, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Yong WS, Ng YYR, Ong KW. Breast. 2014 Feb;23(1):56–62.
16. Exome sequencing identifies highly recurrent MED12 somatic mutations in breast fibroadenoma. Lim WK, Ong CK, Tan J, Thike AA, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Nasir NDM, Mcpherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Ooi WS, Tan VKM, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Rozen SG, Tan P, Tan PH, Teh BT. Nat Genet. 2014 Aug;46(8):877–80.
17. Processed pseudogenes acquired somatically during cancer development. Cooke SL, Shlien A, Marshall J, Pipinikas CP, Martincorena I, Tubio JMCC, Li Y, Menzies A, Mudie L, Ramakrishna M, Yates L, Davies H, Bolli N, Bignell GR, Tarpey PS, Behjati S, Nik-Zainal S, Papaemmanuil E, Teixeira VH, Raine K, Oameara S, Dodoran MS, Teague JW, Butler AP, Iacobuzio-Donahue C, Santarius T, Grundy RG, Malkin D, Greaves M, Munshi N, Flanagan AM, Bowtell D, Martin S, Larsimont D, Reis-Filho JS, Boussioutas A, Taylor JA, Hayes ND, Janes SM, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, McDermott U, Campbell PJ, Provenzano E, van de Vijver M, Richardson AL, Purdie C, Pinder S, Grogan G Mac, Vincent-Salomon A, Larsimont D, Grabau D, Sauer T, Garred Ø, Ehinger A, Van den Eynden GG, van Deurzen CHM, Salgado R, Brock JE, Lakhani SR, Giri DD, Arnould L, Jacquemier J, Treilleux I, Caldas C, Chin SF, Fatima A, Thompson AM, Stenhouse A, Foekens J, Martens J, Sieuwerts A, Brinkman A, Stunnenberg H, Span PN, Sweep F, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Thomas G, Broeks A, Langerod A, Aparicio S, Simpson PT, van ’t Veer L, Eyfjord JE, Hilmarsdottir H, Jonasson JG, Børresen-Dale AL, Ta Michael Lee M, Wong BH, Tee Tan BK, Hooijer GKJ, O’Meara S, Dodoran MS, Teague JW, Butler AP, Iacobuzio-Donahue C, Santarius T, Grundy RG, Malkin D, Greaves M, Munshi N, Flanagan AM, Bowtell D, Martin S, Larsimont D, Reis-Filho JS, Boussioutas A, Taylor JA, Hayes ND, Janes SM, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, McDermott U, Campbell PJ, Oameara S, Dodoran MS, Teague JW, Butler AP, Iacobuzio-Donahue C, Santarius T, Grundy RG, Malkin D, Greaves M, Munshi N, Flanagan AM, Bowtell D, Martin S, Larsimont D, Reis-Filho JS, Boussioutas A, Taylor JA, Hayes ND, Janes SM, Futreal PA, Stratton MR, McDermott U, Campbell PJ, Provenzano E, van de Vijver M, Richardson AL, Purdie C, Pinder S, Grogan G Mac, Vincent-Salomon A, Larsimont D, Grabau D, Sauer T, Garred Ø, Ehinger A, Van den Eynden GG, van Deurzen CHM, Salgado R, Brock JE, Lakhani SR, Giri DD, Arnould L, Jacquemier J, Treilleux I, Caldas C, Chin SF, Fatima A, Thompson AM, Stenhouse A, Foekens J, Martens J, Sieuwerts A, Brinkman A, Stunnenberg H, Span PN, Sweep F, Desmedt C, Sotiriou C, Thomas G, Broeks A, Langerod A, Aparicio S, Simpson PT, van ’t Veer L, Eyfjord JE, Hilmarsdottir H, Jonasson JG, Børresen-Dale AL, Ta Michael Lee M, Wong BH, Tan BKT, Hooijer GKJ. Nat Commun. 2014 Jan;5:3644.
18. Prognostic role of adjuvant radiotherapy in triple-negative breast cancer: A historical cohort study. Bhoo-Pathy N, Verkooijen HM, Wong F-Y, Pignol J-P, Kwong A, Tan E-Y, Aishah Taib N, Nei W-L, Ho G-F, Tan B, Chan P, Lee S-C, Hartman M, Yip C-H, Dent R. Int J Cancer. 2015 Nov 15;137(10):2504–12.
19. Frequent somatic transfer of mitochondrial DNA into the nuclear genome of human cancer cells. Ju YS, Tubio JMCC, Mifsud W, Fu B, Davies HR, Ramakrishna M, Li Y, Yates L, Gundem G, Tarpey PS, Behjati S, Papaemmanuil E, Martin S, Fullam A, Gerstung M, Nangalia J, Green AR, Caldas C, Borg Å, Tutt A, Michael Lee MT, van’t Veer LJ, Tan BKT, Aparicio S, Span PN, Martens JWMM, Knappskog S, Vincent-Salomon A, Børresen-Dale A-LL, Eyfjörd JE, Flanagan AM, Foster C, Neal DE, Cooper C, Eeles R, Lakhani SR, Desmedt C, Thomas G, Richardson AL, Purdie CA, Thompson AM, McDermott U, Yang F, Nik-Zainal S, Campbell PJ, Stratton MR, ICGC Prostate Cancer Working Group, ICGC Bone Cancer Working Group, ICGC Breast Cancer Working Group, Nangalia J, Green AR, Caldas C, Borg Å, Tutt A, Lee MTM, van’t Veer LJ, Tan BKTT, Aparicio S, Span PN, Martens JWMM, Knappskog S, Vincent-Salomon A, Børresen-Dale A-LL, Eyfjörd JE, Flanagan AM, Foster C, Neal DE, Cooper C, Eeles R, Lakhani SR, Desmedt C, Thomas G, Richardson AL, Purdie CA, Thompson AM, McDermott U, Yang F, Nik-Zainal S, Campbell PJ, Stratton MR. Genome Res. 2015 Jun;25(6):814–24.
20. Genomic landscapes of breast fibroepithelial tumors. Tan J, Ong CK, Lim WK, Ng CCY, Thike AA, Ng LM, Rajasegaran V, Myint SS, Nagarajan S, Thangaraju S, Dey S, Nasir NDM, Wijaya GC, Lim JQ, Huang D, Li Z, Wong BH, Chan JYS, McPherson JR, Cutcutache I, Poore G, Tay ST, Tan WJ, Putti TC, Ahmad BS, Iau P, Chan CW, Tang APHH, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ho GH, Tan VKM, Wong CY, Hartman M, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Rozen SG, Tan P, Tan PH, Teh BT. Nat Genet. 2015 Nov;47(11):1341–5.
21. Characteristics and behaviour of screen-detected ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: comparison with symptomatic patients. Koh VCY, Lim JCT, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Thu MMM, Tan VKM, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Ho GH, Tan WJ, Tan Y, Salahuddin AS, Busmanis I, Chong APY, Iqbal J, Thilagaratnam S, Wong JSL, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015 Jul;152(2):293–304.
22. Whole-exome sequencing of breast cancer, malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor and neurofibroma from a patient with neurofibromatosis type 1. McPherson JR, Ong C-KK, Ng CC-YY, Rajasegaran V, Heng H-LL, Yu WS-SS, Tan BK-T, Madhukumar P, Teo MC-CC, Ngeow J, Thike A-AA, Rozen SG, Tan P-HH, Lee ASSGS-G, Teh B-TT, Yap Y-SS. Cancer Med. 2015 Oct 3;
23. False negative rate for intraoperative sentinel lymph node frozen section in patients with breast cancer: A retrospective analysis of patients in a single Asian institution. Wong J, Yong WS, Thike AA, Iqbal J, Salahuddin AS, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Ta PH, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2015 Jul;68(7):536–40.
24. Differences in Survival of Women with Breast Cancer from Different Ethnic Groups in Singapore- A Population Based Cancer Registry Study and an Institutional Based Review. Tan BKT, Lim GH, Tan PH, Yap YS, Sean YW, Madhukumar P, Wee OK, Chia KS. J Cancer Biol Res. 2015;3(3):1067.
25. Perioperative Outcomes of Therapeutic Breast Surgery in the Elderly. Lee CM, Tan VK, Tan BK, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ong KW. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2016 Jun;45(6):261–3.
26. Landscape of somatic mutations in 560 breast cancer whole-genome sequences. Nik-Zainal S, Davies H, Staaf J, Ramakrishna M, Glodzik D, Zou X, Martincorena I, Alexandrov LB, Martin S, Wedge DC, Van Loo P, Ju YS, Smid M, Brinkman AB, Morganella S, Aure MR, Lingjærde OC, Langerød A, Ringnér M, Ahn SM, Boyault S, Brock JE, Broeks A, Butler A, Desmedt C, Dirix L, Dronov S, Fatima A, Foekens JA, Gerstung M, Hooijer GKJ, Jang SJ, Jones DR, Kim HY, King TA, Krishnamurthy S, Lee HJ, Lee JY, Li Y, McLaren S, Menzies A, Mustonen V, O’Meara S, Pauporté I, Pivot X, Purdie CA, Raine K, Ramakrishnan K, Rodríguez-González FG, Romieu G, Sieuwerts AM, Simpson PT, Shepherd R, Stebbings L, Stefansson OA, Teague J, Tommasi S, Treilleux I, Van Den Eynden GG, Vermeulen P, Vincent-Salomon A, Yates L, Caldas C, Veer LV t., Tutt A, Knappskog S, Tan BKT, Jonkers J, Borg Å, Ueno NT, Sotiriou C, Viari A, Futreal PA, Campbell PJ, Span PN, Van Laere S, Lakhani SR, Eyfjord JE, Thompson AM, Birney E, Stunnenberg HG, Van De Vijver MJ, Martens JWM, Børresen-Dale AL, Richardson AL, Kong G, Thomas G, Stratton MR. Nature. 2016;
27. The curious incident of 3 melanomas and their possible origins - A case report and review of literature. Sin EIL, Tan BKT, Lau KW, Teo MCC. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2016;
28. Breast carcinoma and phyllodes tumour: A case series. Sin EIL, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ong KW, Madhukumar P, Tan VKM, Thike AA, Tan PH, Tan BKT. J Clin Pathol. 2016;
29. Breast sarcomas and malignant phyllodes tumours: comparison of clinicopathological features, treatment strategies, prognostic factors and outcomes. Lim SZ, Selvarajan S, Thike AA, Nasir NDBM, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2016;
30. Clinicopathological characteristics and treatment outcomes in patients with stage I-III invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast (ILC) treated at the National Cancer Centre Singapore. Lee JJX, Wong F-Y, Tan B, Lim SH, Tan SH, Ngeow JY, Dent RA. J Clin Oncol. 2016 May 20;34(15_suppl):e12005–e12005.
31. Sarcoma of the breast: an update on a rare entity. Lim SZ, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Selvarajan S, Tan PH. J Clin Pathol. 2016 May;69(5):373–81.
32. An Unusual Case of Small Bowel Obstruction in an Elderly Woman. Tan HL, Tan BKT, Lee SY. Gastroenterology. 2016;150(7):e3–4.
33. Trends in Post-Mastectomy Reconstruction in an Asian Population: A 12-Year Institutional Review. Ng YYR, Tan VKM, Goh TLH, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ho GH, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Ong YS, Sim Y, Tan BK, Tan BKT. Breast J. 2017 Jan;23(1):59–66.
34. Somatic mutations reveal asymmetric cellular dynamics in the early human embryo. Ju YS, Martincorena I, Gerstung M, Petljak M, Alexandrov LB, Rahbari R, Wedge DC, Davies HR, Ramakrishna M, Fullam A, Martin S, Alder C, Patel N, Gamble S, O’Meara S, Giri DiD, Sauer T, Pinder SE, Purdie CA, Borg Å, Stunnenberg H, Van De Vijver M, Tan BKT, Caldas C, Tutt A, Ueno NT, Van ’T Veer LJ, Martens JWM, Sotiriou C, Knappskog S, Span PN, Lakhani SR, Eyfjörd JE, Børresen-Dale AL, Richardson A, Thompson AM, Viari A, Hurles ME, Nik-Zainal S, Campbell PJ, Stratton MR. Nature. 2017;
35. Validation of the 18-gene classifier as a prognostic biomarker of distant metastasis in breast cancer. Cheng SH-C, Huang T-T, Cheng Y-H, Tan TBK, Horng C-F, Wang YA, Brian NS, Shih L-S, Yu B-L. PLoS One. 2017;12(9):e0184372.
36. Surgery for early breast cancer in the extremely elderly leads to improved outcomes – An Asian population study. Lee CM, Zheng H, Tan VKM, Tan TJY, Kanesvaran R, Wong FY, Sim YR, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Ong KW, Tan BKT. Breast. 2017;
37. Nipple Reconstruction with Rolled Dermal Graft Support. Tan B-K, Liang W, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT. Nipple-Areolar Complex Reconstruction. 2018.
38. Immediate breast reconstruction following nipple-sparing mastectomy in an asian population: Aesthetic outcomes and mitigating nipple-areolar complex necrosis. Pek WS, Tan BK, Ng YYR, Tan VKM, Rasheed MZ, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Ong YS. Arch Plast Surg. 2018;
39. Bilateral breast cancers in an Asian population, and a comparison between synchronous and metachronous tumours. Sim Y, Tan VKM, Sidek NAB, Chia DKA, Tan BKT, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Ong KW. ANZ J Surg. 2018;
40. Metastasis of primary lung carcinoma to breast: An unusual presentation. Aw DKL, Leong LCH, Tan KTB. Breast J. 2018;24(3):406–7.
41. A circulating miRNA signature for stratification of breast lesions among women with abnormal screening mammograms. Loke SY, Munusamy P, Koh GL, Chan CHT, Madhukumar P, Thung JL, Tan KTB, Ong KW, Yong WS, Sim Y, Oey CL, Lim SZ, Chan MYP, Ho TSJ, Khoo BKJ, Wong SLJ, Thng CH, Chong BK, Tan EY, Tan VKM, Lee ASG. Cancers (Basel). 2019;
42. A novel genomic panel as an adjunctive diagnostic tool for the characterization and profiling of breast Fibroepithelial lesions. Sim Y, Ng GXP, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Wong SF, Liu W, Guan P, Nagarajan S, Ng WY, Thike AA, Lim JCT, Nasir NDBM, Tan VKM, Madhukumar P, Yong WS, Wong CY, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Teh BT, Tan PH. BMC Med Genomics. 2019;12(1):142.
43. Contrasting Epidemiology and Clinicopathology of Female Breast Cancer in Asians vs the US Population. Lin C-H, Yap YS, Lee K-H, Im S-A, Naito Y, Yeo W, Ueno T, Kwong A, Li H, Huang S-M, Leung R, Han W, Tan B, Hu F-C, Huang C-S, Cheng A-L, Lu Y-S, Asian Breast Cancer Cooperative Group. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2019 Dec 1;111(12):1298–306.
44. Genomic profile of breast sarcomas: a comparison with malignant phyllodes tumours. Lim SZ, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Guan P, Selvarajan S, Thike AA, Nasir NDBM, Koh VCY, Tan BKT, Ong KW, Teh BT, Tan PH. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2019;
45. Impact of hormonal status on ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: Outcome and prognostic factors. Tay THC, Ng WY, Ong KW, Wong CY, Tan BKT, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Tan VKM, Lim SZ, Sim Y. Breast J. 2019;
46. Detection of genomic alterations in breast cancer with circulating tumour DNA sequencing. Kleftogiannis D, Ho D, Liew JX, Poon P, Gan A, Ng RC-H, Tan BK-T, Tay KH, Lim S-H, Tan GS, Shih CC, Lim T, Lee AS-G, Tan I, Yap Y-S, Ng S. bioRxiv. 2019;
47. Genomic characterisation of breast fibroepithelial lesions in an international cohort. Md Nasir ND, Ng CCY, Rajasegaran V, Wong SF, Liu W, Ng GXP, Lee JY, Guan P, Lim JQ, Thike AA, Koh VCY, Loke BN, Chang KTE, Gudi MA, Lian DWQ, Madhukumar P, Tan BKT, Tan VKM, Wong CY, Yong WS, Ho GH, Ong KW, Tan P, Teh BT, Tan PH. J Pathol. 2019;
48. Pseudoaneurysm after vacuum-assisted breast biopsy treated with percutaneous thrombin injection. Xiang F, Gogna A, Leong LCH, Tan BKT. Breast J. 2019;25(2):318–9.
49. A pilot study comparing Sentimag/Sienna versus standard modality for sentinel lymph node identification in patients with breast cancer. Hamzah JL, Tan BKT, Tan V, Madhukumar P, Lim SZ, Sim YR, Yong WS, Lee ZJ, Ong KW. Breast J. 2019 Oct 14;
50. Breast calcifications in patients with end-stage renal disease. Basu P, Leong LCH, Tan BY, Tan BKT. Breast J. 2019;25(3):515–6.
51. Surgical and oncological safety of nipple-sparing mastectomy in an Asian population. Ng YY-R, Tan VK-M, Pek WS, Chang JH-E, Sim Y, Ong KW, Yong WS, Madhukumar P, Wong CY, Ong YS, Tan BK, Tan BKT. Breast Cancer. 2019 Mar;26(2):165–71.
52. Unusual case of massive lower gastrointestinal bleeding in a young woman. Toh BC, Chew MH, Tan BKT. ANZ J Surg. 2019 Jun 20;
53. Behaviour and characteristics of low-grade ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast: literature review and single-centre retrospective series. Koh VCY, Lim JCT, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Thu MMM, Li H, Tan VKM, Ong KW, Tan BKT, Ho GH, Thilagaratnam S, Wong JSL, Wong FY, Ellis IO, Tan PH. Histopathology. 2019 Jun;74(7):970–87.
54. Impact of deviation from guideline recommended treatment on breast cancer survival in Asia. Ho PJ, Ow SGW, Sim Y, Liu J, Lim SH, Tan EY, Tan S-M, Lee SC, Tan VK-M, Yap Y-S, Chay WY, Tan BKT, Wong FY, Li J, Hartman M. Sci Rep. 2020 Jan 28;10(1):1330.
55. Pan-cancer analysis of whole genomes. ICGC/TCGA Pan-Cancer Analysis of Whole Genomes Consortium. Nature. 2020;578(7793):82–93.
56. A tripartite approach can seek to optimize breast cancer management during a pandemic – Real‐Time experience of a developing breast oncology unit in Singapore. Ngaserin S, Chua HW, Chew M, Tan BK. Breast J. 2020 Jul;tbj.13961.
57. Human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 positive rates in invasive lobular breast carcinoma: The Singapore experience. Kee G-J, Tan RY-C, Rehena S, Lee JJ-X, Zaw MW-W, Lian W-X, Yeong J, Tan S-M, Lim S-H, Tan BK-T, Yap Y-S, Dent RA, Wong F-Y, Lee G-E. World J Clin Oncol. 2020 May 24;11(5):283–93.
58. European polygenic risk score for prediction of breast cancer shows similar performance in Asian women. Ho W-K, Tan M-M, Mavaddat N, Tai M-C, Mariapun S, Li J, Ho P-J, Dennis J, Tyrer JP, Bolla MK, Michailidou K, Wang Q, Kang D, Choi J-Y, Jamaris S, Shu X-O, Yoon S-Y, Park SK, Kim S-W, Shen C-Y, Yu J-C, Tan EY, Chan PMY, Muir K, Lophatananon A, Wu AH, Stram DO, Matsuo K, Ito H, Chan CW, Ngeow J, Yong WS, Lim SH, Lim GH, Kwong A, Chan TL, Tan SM, Seah J, John EM, Kurian AW, Koh W-P, Khor CC, Iwasaki M, Yamaji T, Tan KMV, Tan KTB, Spinelli JJ, Aronson KJ, Hasan SN, Rahmat K, Vijayananthan A, Sim X, Pharoah PDP, Zheng W, Dunning AM, Simard J, van Dam RM, Yip C-H, Taib NAM, Hartman M, Easton DF, Teo S-H, Antoniou AC. Nat Commun. 2020 Dec 31;11(1):3833.
Subscribe to our mailing list to get the updates to your email inbox...