Assoc. Prof. Chang Chee Cheng, Paul
Senior Consultant & Director, Sports Medicine Service
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
MBBS, FRCS (Edin), FAMS
A/Prof Paul Chang completed his medical undergraduate studies in 1986 from the National University of Singapore (NUS). He went on to complete his orthopaedic surgical training in 1991. In 1994, he was awarded the Ministry of Health, Singapore HMDP (Health Manpower Developmental Programme) and spent a year as a fellow in Sports Medicine in the renowned University of Pittsburgh, USA . He is the current Director Of Sports Medicine since May 2000.
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine (Singapore) 1997
- Fellowship for Sports Medicine - University of Pittsburgh 1994
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates Certificate 1993
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1991
- M.B.B.S (Singapore) 1986
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS
- Director Sports Service, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery since May 2000
- President, Singapore Orthopaedic Association
- Medical Director, Orthopaedic Sports & Joints Centre, Camden
- Board Member, Singapore National Paralympic Council
- Chairman, Classification Committee, Singapore National Paralympic Council
- Sports Medicine Association of Singapore (Secretary 1999; Vice-President 2000; President 2001; Council Member 2004)
- Honorary Visiting Consultant to the Sports Medicine & Sports Science Centre, Singapore Sports Council since 1997.
- Advisory Panel, Changi Sports Medicine Centre 2003-2005.
- Asia-Pacific Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (Secretary 2000 to 2006; Scientific Chairman for Annual Meeting in 2002)
- International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Membership Committee 2003 to 2005.
- Academy of Medicine/Royal College of Surgeons Basic & Advanced Arthroscopy Course Instructor (April 1998, July 1999, April, July, October, December 2000).
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. dvanced Arthroscopy Course. Instructor March 2002, May 2004.
- Visiting Lecturer, School of Mechanical & Production Engineering, Nanyang Technological University.
- Visiting Consultant, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Changi General Hospital.
- Honorary Member, Peruvian Arthroscopy Association.
- Associate Professor, Yong Yoo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 2008.
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore
- Training Coordinator, Experimental Surgery, Singapore General Hospital
- SGH vs Alumnus Golf Competitions Organising Committee.
- Academy of Medicine of Singapore & Malaysia Combined Meeting Golf Convenor (2002/2003/2004)
- Member of Ambulatory Surgery Centre, Management Committee
- Member of Medisave Audit Committee, Singapore General Hospital
- Feb 2005 SQ- Service with a Heart Award (Singapore General Hospital)
- Mar 2004 SQ-Service with a Heart Award (Singapore General Hospital)
- Jul 2001 National Service Medal, Singapore Armed Forces.
- Mar 2000 SQ-Service with a Heart Award (Singapore General Hospital)
- Apr 1999 Awarded the Smith & Nephew Scholarship for Sports Medicine to Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Jun 1998 Promoted to the rank of Major by the Singapore Armed Forces Council.
- Apr 1998 Awarded the Western Pacific Orthopaedic Association – ESSKA Travelling Fellowship to Europe.
- Oct 1997 Winner of Young Orthopaedic Investigator Award (20th SOA Meeting).
- “The Result of Periosteal Transplants for Full Thickness Osteochondral Defects in the Knee Joints of Pigs”.
- Jul 1993 Good Service Medal Singapore Armed Forces
- Nov 1988 Howard Eddey Gold Medal Part I FRACS
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH/TRIALS
1) “Comparison of the Results of Spinal Fusion for Spondylolisthesis With and Without Instrumentation” – Singapore Medical Journal 1993 Vol 34 – 1st Author.
2) “Metastases of Carcinoma of the Colon to the Tibialis Anterior - a Case Report” - Annals of the Academy of Medicine Singapore 1994 Vol 23 No 1 – 1st Author.
3) “Comparison of the Results of Laser Assisted Subacromial Decompression – a Prospective Study” accepted for publication in Arthroscopy.
4) “Anterior Knee Pain in the Military Population” Annals of the Academy of Medicine. Singapore 1997; 26:60-3 – 1st Author.
5) “Anthropometry of Anterior Cruciate Ligament in Singaporean Chinese” – Annals of the Academy of Medicine. Singapore 1998; 27 No. 6 : 776-9 – 2nd Author.
6) “Periosteal Transplants VS Mosaicplasty for Full Thickness Ostoechondral Defects in Pigs”. Silverplatter Multimedia CD-ROM. 24th Annual Meeting of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Vancouver, British Columbia 1998 – 1st Author.
7) “The Results of Autogenous Tibial Periosteal Transplants for Full Thickness Cartilage Defects in the Knee Joints of Pigs” – Annals of the Academy of Medicine. Singapore 1999; 28 : 8-14 – 1st Author.
8) "A Comparative Study Between Autogenous Tibial Periosteal Transplants and Mosaicplasty for Full Thickness Articular Cartilage Defects in the Knee Joints of Pigs" – Journal of ASEAN Orthopaedic Association. Vol 13 No. 1 July 2000 – 1st Author.
9) “Anterior Knee Pain in Athletes – The Diagnostic and Therapeutic Dilemmas” – Sports Medicine News Feb 2001 Vol 10 No. 1 – 1st Author.
10) “Simultaneous Bilateral Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries : A Case Report” – Journal of ASEAN Orthopaedic Association. Vol 14 No. 1 July 2001 : 11 – 12 – 2nd Author.
11) “Effect of Surgical Timing on Outcome of ACL Reconstruction” – Journal of ASEAN Orthopaedic Association. Vol. 14 No. 1 July 2001 : 13 – 17 – 2nd Author.
12) “Autogenous Osteochondral Morselised Grafts for Full Thickness Osteochondral Defects in the Knee Joints of Pigs” – Singapore Med J 2001 Vol 42 (9) : 410 – 416 – 2nd Author.
13) “The Growth and Development of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine in Singapore” – Annals of the Academy of Medicine. Singapore; 31 No. 5 Sep 2002 : 573 – 78 – 1st Author.
14) “The Posterior Cruciate Ligament : An Anthropometric Study in Asians & Evaluation of Safe Limits for Bony Tunnel Creation During Reconstruction” – Annals of the Academy of Medicine. Singapore; 31 No. 5 September 2002 : 631 – 35 – 2nd Author.
15) “Morbidity following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction using Hamstring grafts” – Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore; Vol 33 No 2 Mar 2004: 214-19 – 2nd Author
16) “Arthroscopic Microfracture of the Knee” – Journal of ASEAN Orthopaedic Association Vol 16 No. 1 Jan 2004 – 2nd Author.
17) Assessment of blood – induced cartilage damage in Rabbit Knees using scanning electron microscopy
- Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2004 : 12 (2) 199-204 – 2nd Author.
18) Comparing 2 year outcomes of ACL reconstruction using either patella tendon or semitendinosus tendon autografts : A non-randomised prospective study – Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery 2005 : 13 (2) : 139-146 – 2nd Author.
19) “Dance Your Way to Health” Silkwinds Vol 1/2007 Pg 36 – 2nd Author.
20) An Unusual Case of Knee Locking, Singapore Med Journal, 2010 : 51(8): e 140-142..
21) Functional Outcome Assessment After Open Tennis Elbow Release : What are the Predictor Parameters? Singapore Med Journal, 2011 ; 52(2) 73-76.