Prof. Tan Puay Hoon
Head & Senior Consultant
Department of Pathology
MBBS, FRCPA, FAMS, MD, FRCPath, MIAC, Adjunct Associate Professor
Dr Tan Puay Hoon is Senior Consultant Histopathologist and Head, Department of Pathology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore. She has an active interest in breast pathology, as well as urologic and renal pathology, and sits on the Editorial Boards of Modern Pathology, Breast Cancer Research, Journal of Clinical Pathology, and Pathology. She is Associate Editor of the Singapore Medical Journal and the SGH Proceedings.
Apart from a busy service largely focused on subspecialty surgical signouts, she and her collaborators are recipients of several research grants related to translational studies of breast and prostate cancer. She is author of more than 150 publications, and participates regularly in regional and international meetings. She is the Secretary of the Asian Breast Diseases Association and Council member at large of the International Society of Breast Pathology.
- MBBS (National University of Singapore, 1986)
- FRCPA (Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia, 1994)
- FAMS (Academy of Medicine, Singapore, 1996)
- MD (National University of Singapore, 2002)
- FRCPath (Royal College of Pathologists, United Kingdom, 2005)
- MIAC (International Academy of Cytology, 2005)
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIPS
- Head, Senior Consultant, Department of Pathology, Singapore General Hospital
- Professor, Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School
- Professor, Departments of Pathology and Anatomy, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
- Albert Lim Liat Juay Silver Medal.
- Margaret Lee Ming Yee Memorial Medal.
- VS Rajan Gold Medal.
- SGH Excellent Publications and Outstanding Researcher Awards 2003
- Galloway Memorial Lecture 2005
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH/TRIALS
- Thike AA, Cheok PY, Jara-Lazaro AR, Tan B, Tan P, Tan PH. Triple-negative breast cancer: clinicopathological characteristics and relationship with basal-like breast cancer. Mod Pathol in press.
- Begum SMKN, Jara-Lazaro AR, Thike AA, Tse GMK, Wong JSL, Ho JTS, Tan PH. Mucin extravasation in breast core biopsies - clinical significance and outcome correlation. Histopathology in press.
- Idrisinghe P, Thike AA, Cheok PY, Tse GMK, Lui P, Fook-Chong S, Wong NS, Tan PH. Hormone receptor and c-erbB2 status in distant metastatic and locally recurrent breast cancer: pathologic correlations and clinical significance. Am J Clin Pathol in press
- Karim RZ, Scolyer RA, Tse GM, Tan PH, Putti TC, Lee CS. Pathogenic mechanisms in the initiation and progression of mammary phyllodes tumours. Pathology. 2009 Feb;41(2):105-17.
- Tse GM, Tan PH, Moriya T. The role of immunohistochemistry in the differential diagnosis of papillary lesions of the breast. J Clin Pathol. 2009 Jan 6.
- Yap X, Tan HY, Huang J, Lai Y, Yip GW, Tan PH, Bay BH. Over-expression of metallothionein predicts chemoresistance in breast cancer. J Pathol. 2009 Mar;217(4):563-70.
- Moriya T, Kozuka Y, Kanomata N, Tse GM, Tan PH. The role of immunohistochemistry in the differential diagnosis of breast lesions. Pathology. 2009 Jan;41(1):68-76.
- Jara-Lazaro AR, Tse GM, Tan PH. Columnar cell lesions of the breast: an update and significance on core biopsy. Pathology. 2009 Jan;41(1):18-27.
- Tan PH, Tse GM, Ellis IO. Special theme issue: breast pathology. Pathology. 2009 Jan;41(1):1-2.
- Jara-Lazaro AR, Tan PH. Pattern and spectrum of morphology referrals in breast pathology consultation. Pathology. 2008 Oct;40(6):564-72.
- Chen MH, Yip GW, Tse GM, Moriya T, Lui PC, Zin ML, Bay BH, Tan PH. Expression of basal keratins and vimentin in breast cancers of young women correlates with adverse pathologic parameters. Mod Pathol. 2008 Oct;21(10):1183-91. Epub 2008 Jun 6.
- Teng-Swan Ho J, Tan PH, Hee SW, Su-Lin Wong J. Underestimation of malignancy of atypical ductal hyperplasia diagnosed on 11-gauge stereotactically guided Mammotome breast biopsy: an Asian breast screen experience. Breast. 2008 Aug;17(4):401-6. Epub 2008 May 2.
- Tan BK, Tan LK, Yu K, Tan PH, Lee M, Sii LH, Wong CY, Ho GH, Yeo AW, Chow PK, Koong HN, Yong WS, Lim DT, Ooi LL, Soo KC, Tan P. Clinical validation of a customized multiple signature microarray for breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Jan 15;14(2):461-9.
- Chuwa EW, Tan VH, Tan PH, Yong WS, Ho GH, Wong CY. Treatment for ductal carcinoma in situ in an Asian population: outcome and prognostic factors. ANZ J Surg. 2008 Jan-Feb;78(1-2):42-8.
- Ang P, Lim IH, Lee TC, Luo JT, Ong DC, Tan PH, Lee AS. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in an Asian clinic-based population detected using a comprehensive strategy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007 Nov;16(11):2276-84.
- Tan PH, Tse GM, Bay BH. Mucinous breast lesions: diagnostic challenges. J Clin Pathol. 2008 Jan;61(1):11-9.
- Selvarajan S, Sii LH, Lee A, Yip G, Bay BH, Tan MH, Teh BT, Tan PH. Parafibromin expression in breast cancer: a novel marker for prognostication? J Clin Pathol. 2008 Jan;61(1):64-7.
- Chew I, Tan Y, Tan PH. Cytology is useful in breast screening: results and long-term follow-up of the Singapore Breast Screening Pilot Project. Cytopathology. 2006 Oct;17(5):227-32.
- Koo CY, Bay BH, Lui PC, Tse GM, Tan PH, Yip GW. Immunohistochemical expression of heparan sulfate correlates with stromal cell proliferation in breast phyllodes tumors. Mod Pathol. 2006 Oct;19(10):1344-50.
- Tan EY, Tan PH, Yong WS, Wong HB, Ho GH, Yeo AW, Wong CY. Recurrent phyllodes tumours of the breast: pathological features and clinical implications. ANZ J Surg. 2006 Jun;76(6):476-80. Erratum in: ANZ J Surg. 2006 Oct;76(10):956.